Thursday 6 January 2011

Assignment 211 - Presenting Photo Images

Having chosen my images, I am now at the point of deciding the best way to present them. There are a number of things to take into consideration such as:

  • Audience
  • Cost
  • Materials
  • Speed

Audience
It is important to think about the people that you are aiming at, with your images. You will need to think of different ways to present the images, depending on the audience that you are trying to appeal to. For example, if you are hoping to get your images to be viewed by the general public, then you will need to consider either printing onto large format canvasses, framing, or other. I am not presenting these images to the public at large so they do not need to appear in a big space. Therefore, it is not necessary to frame or print the pictures.

When creating work for evaluation purposes, for review by a small number of people, a portfolio of images can be created. This requires printing the images an placing them into a presentation folder of some sort.

To reach the world at large, you can use the Internet to present images in an electronic format. There are various dedicated websites that can be chosen but you can also establish your own website, or build up on a blog (as we have done so far within our course).

Family photos can be printed and placed into photo albums, or quite often I publish photos in photo books.

Cost
Cost is a major consideration. To print images in large formats is a very expensive option. Even printing in small formats comes at a price. Therefore, the most cost effective method is to produce electronic versions that can be displayed directly from the computer, or saved to CD/DVD (or other) and viewed by multiple persons.

Materials
When looking at printing, there are a myriad of materials available for printing, ranging from canvas to various types of photographic paper.
Another consideration when looking at printing, is the overall effect that you are trying to achieve. Some colours can be made more vibrant by using a display screen and they may not come out so well in printed format, subject to the materials used.

Speed
If speed is an issue then the quickest way to get images displayed is to simply show them on a computer screen.

Conclusion
I have thought about printing the images, but I like the vibrancy within the nature section especially and fear losing some of this, if I print the images. Also, I will not have the difficult task of working out which paper will give me the result that I want. In addition, printing in A3 will require me to put the finished images into a portfolio folder, which will incur a degree of cost and will mean that I need to take extra time (which is a luxury that I do not have at the moment) to decide on the right portfolio.

Taking all of the above into consideration, I have decided not to print my final images, but to present them as images on a CD/DVD for viewing electronically. The aim will be to burn them to CD/DVD in  JPEG format for instant viewing across multiple platforms.

This will be the quickest method and will ensure that the image that I see on he screen will be the same as the one that the examiners view. There will be no distortion of colour or other, through printing, so I can guarantee the final image is the one that I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment