Thursday 14 October 2010

Corn Wall


Overview
Taken once again in Cornwall, very early in the morning just before sunrise, this picture provides some good contrast between the patterns in the dry stone wall and the milky, foggy, motion of the sea.
I like the way that the patterns in the wall and the rocks contrast with the smooth water.

ISO 100: f10: Shutter Speed 20.0s
Lens: Tamron 55-200mm
It is unlikely that the final image will not remain in colour. I have taken this with the specific thought of converting it to a black and white image. as I envisage that black and white will enhance the effect of the stone wall and that there is not sufficient strength in the rest of the image due to the lack of peripheral light.

Planning.
I wanted to get some shots of the sea when there was little light and I could use a long exposure to get the desire effect of blurring out the water motion. The previous night I checked the map to see where I could go that would give me a good chance of getting the right light and the right amount of wave motion.
As it happens, I should have checked the location out the day before and I will need to bear this in mind again in the future, as the location did not quite live up to expectation.
I knew that this was going to be a 'timed' exposure, so was sure to take my tripod and my remote control trigger.  I also took a variety of lenses to make sure that I had something for every opportunity. I chose the zoom lens in this instance to allow me to get close to the topic and to remove any unwanted peripheral image data.

Health and Safety Considerations
It was early and so quite dark and the picture was taken on a slipway, with boats, fishing nets, and ropes all around. I checked to make sure that there was nothing that could cause much of a hazard. The most likely incident would have been that I could have slipped or fallen over, or into the water. Consequently, I made sure that I was not in danger of tripping or slipping over, and that the area in which I was working was as 'safe' as it could be. In addition I made certain that my tripod was firmly fixed in position. There was no one around, so I did not have to worry about cars or other traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment